Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Fuad: “I did no wrong”

Dr. Fuad Khan

Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan yesterday declared he has not broken any law or compromised his responsibilities by continuing to function in his private capacity as a urologist.

Khan made this statement yesterday as Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley criticised his actions and Local Government Minister Chandresh Sharma defended him.

In a statement, Khan said he was called to serve in the Cabinet at short notice.

“This request came at a time when the health sector was in crisis and it was my belief that given my experience as a medical doctor, my knowledge of the system, my proficiency in management, coupled with my background in mediation, I possessed the requisite skills to make a positive impact on the system, to enforce change to bring about a vastly improved public health care for the benefit of all citizens,” Khan said. “It was on this basis that I accepted the call to serve.”

Khan said he informed his patients he would be suspending his medical practice because of his ministerial responsibilities. He also advised his patients to seek other urologists for assistance but was already overwhelmed with requests to conduct surgeries which he had already committed himself to.

In light of this, Khan said he felt it was appropriate for him to continue to clear the backlog of patients who were already scheduled for surgery under his care.

He proceeded to conduct surgeries on Saturdays and saw patients after  4 pm on Tuesdays. Stating neither of these activities compromised his ability to function as Health Minister, Khan said he has been advised by his lawyers he was not in breach of the Integrity in Public Life Act.

“One cannot expect me as a medical practitioner to abandon my patients at the stroke of a pen and while some have expressed some ethical concerns in this matter, I can assure the public that my responsibilities as minister have not been compromised in any way,” Khan stated.

Rowley said it was unacceptable for Khan to continue his private practice following his appointment as Health Minister on June 26. Referring to a media report which quotes Khan as saying he did not inform Persad-Bissessar he was continuing his medical practice at the St Augustine Private Hospital, Rowley recalled he had warned the country that this could happen when questions were raised about whether it was appropriate for Jack Warner to simultaneously serve as a Cabinet minister and FIFA vicepresident.

Rowley said under the PNM, no health minister was allowed to undertake any action outside of their remit at private or public hospitals.

Sharma said he did not see any issue where Khan was concerned.

Sharma said his understanding was Khan was in the process of transferring his patients to other doctors.

Foreign Affairs Minister Dr Suruj Rambachan did not offer any opinion on Khan’s case but observed traditions outlining how government ministers conduct themselves have been long established and those traditions must always be practiced.

Finance Minister Winston Dookeran and Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal declined to comment on the matter.

Persad-Bissessar said she had told Khan, a urologist, that not only was such behaviour inappropriate, but “it was untenable”.

In a release, Khan, the MP for San Juan/Barataria, stated his decision to cease his private medical practice.

Following is the statement:
“I have decided in essence to put my country first! We are in crucial times and each and every one of us must take responsibility for the direction in which we want our nation to develop. I love my country, and if this is the best  way I can serve, I stand ready, willing and able to answer that call. I now urge every citizen to work with me as we transform the public health sector.”

No comments:

Post a Comment